Motherhood is one of the toughest roles we will ever face in life but add a full-time job into the equation and many women are struggling whilst raising children and trying to maintain a career. It can be an incredibly rewarding lifestyle; however, it can also mean being isolated from the working world and feeling limited in terms of achieving personal career goals and financial independence. It isn't easy. Juggling deadlines, school appointments and having to meet high expectations in a role that doesn't really satisfy is what many women are facing today.
As a result, there has been a huge rise in mothers choosing to work for themselves, and the mumpreneur is making her mark on the world. There are many women who want to start their own businesses but have no idea where or how to start.
The good news is that there are countless business ideas out there for mothers who want to work from home and use their talent, creativity and enthusiasm to bring in an additional income stream.
Here are twenty business ideas that full-time mums can start right from their own home, with very little startup costs:
1. Virtual Assistant. As a virtual assistant, you provide help and support to businesses and entrepreneurs by helping manage time, list tasks, and complete miscellaneous tasks. You can offer general administrative services such as invoicing, data entry, transcription, bookkeeping, and organization.
2. Transcription Services. If you have impeccable grammar and spelling skills, transcription services can be a profitable business idea. You can transcribe audio, video, and emails for various companies that need help with these tasks.
3. Social media manager. With an ever-increasing demand for certain social media platforms, businesses are seeking flexible workers to help them manage their presence on these platforms. If you have an understanding of social media and the art of engaging with people, this could be a great business idea for you.
4. Writing services. If you like to write and can offer professional writing services for a wide range of topics and industries, this could be a great full-time mum business. You can write articles, blog posts, website content, and even books.
5. Consulting services. If you have knowledge in a specific area, such as marketing, finance, accounting, or public relations, you can offer consulting services to companies.
6. Virtual event planning. Event planning can be a lucrative business; however, it can also be time-consuming and expensive. By offering virtual event planning services you can help companies create a great online experience for their attendees.
7. Virtual tutor. There is a great demand for tutoring services, particularly online. Full-time mums can utilize these services to become virtual tutors and offer academic and career guidance to students.
8. Web design. The demand for website design and development is constantly increasing, which means the opportunities for full-time mums to become web developers are also increasing.
9. Photography. If you have a great eye for photography, you can start taking photos for special events, weddings or for stock photography sites.
10. Interior design services. Home design is an increasingly popular career choice for many; however, you can offer interior design services from the comfort of your own home.
11. Graphic design services. Graphic design businesses can be an incredibly profitable venture for full-time mums who want to use their creativity and design skills to create logos and marketing materials for their clients.
12. SEO (search engine optimization) services are essential for many businesses. If you have the knowledge and skills you can offer SEO services to companies, helping them increase their online presence.
13. Virtual bookkeeping. Bookkeeping services are essential for many businesses, and entrepreneurs are increasingly turning to virtual bookkeepers to help them with their finances.
14. Handmade products. If you’re a crafty person, you can start selling handmade products, such as jewellery and knitted items, on online marketplaces or your own website.
15. CV/resume writing. Resume writing services can be an incredibly profitable business for full-time mums, especially when targeting the younger demographic who often need help creating a standout resume.
16. Video creation and editing services. As businesses turn to video to promote their products and services, there is an increasing demand for video creation and editing services.
17. Online tutoring. Online tutoring services have become more popular in recent years, and full-time mums can offer tutoring in a wide range of subjects and topics, depending on their skills and experience.
18. Virtual assistant services. If you’re efficient, hard-working, and possess a few skills that might be helpful for other businesses, you can offer virtual assistant services, such as diary management, calls and email handling, and customer service.
19. Voice-over services. Voice-over services can be a lucrative business for full-time mums who have a pleasant and professional speaking voice. You can record audio for commercials, radio spots, documentaries, and more.
20. Online shopping. If you’re an expert in online shopping, you can help other entrepreneurs by assisting them with online shopping, such as finding the best looks/items, and deals and arranging for delivery.
Whatever business idea you decide to pursue, be sure to research it thoroughly so you have a better understanding of the risks and potential rewards. With the right approach and dedication, you can make a living by running a successful 'full-time mum' business.