Bestselling self-help book author and award winning designer Karen Salmansohn has not only graced us with the tools to empower ourselves, but has done so in such a vivacious and charasmatic way.
For me self-help was the section of the book store that I entitled 'the dark side.' Where let's say if a friend or someone I knew bumped into me, I would turn a strong hue of red and assumed I would be deemed as troubled and crazy.
Well Salmansohn totally transformed my viewpoint on this, as her book The Bounce Back adopted a more relaxed and jovial approach to self-help, which fundamentally meant that I felt a lot more comfortable speaking about my anxiety or the fact that I had cried in the shower that morning for no apparent reason and could not explain why. It encouraged me to speak freely about my feelings and to understand that we all go through struggles and it did good to be honest and accepting of this.
Here are 16 quotes from the phenomenal Karen Salmansohn that will either leave you in awe or with a stomach cramp from laughter.
1. “True love is not a wish list but a “wish feeling.” And the number one feeling—even before the feeling of love—is the feeling of safety. Without feeling safe, you will never feel true love. You must have trust in your partner’s character and prioritize finding a partner who is honest, communicative, and empathic—someone who values growing—so you can feel safe to vulnerably be your truest core self with him—and then together the two of you can support one another to grow into your best possible selves.”
2. “life is too short for fake butter or fake people.”
3. “I try to fill the emptiness deep inside me with Cheetos, but I am still depressed. Only now my fingers are stained orange. I am blue. And I am orange.”
4. “If you don't love yourself it's tough to love anything about your life. Appreciating who you are is essential to your happiness.”
5. “God is even in a single parent household.”
6. “View your life with KINDSIGHT. Stop beating yourself up about things from your past. Instead of slapping your forehead and asking, “What was I thinking,” breathe and ask yourself the kinder question, “What was I learning?”
7. “It's essential you create a fiery will from within--harness that power of decisiveness--and choose to be your strongest self.”
8. “All things which greatly hurt me greatly teach me”
9. “The hardest thing about "everything happens for a reason" is waiting for that reason to show up.”
10. “Your mission: Be so busy loving your life that you have no time for hate,regret or fear.”
11. “I realize nobody's coming to save me. I must save myself. I must be my own super hero. Although I am open to a sidekick.”
12. “Some people only hate you because of the way other people love you.”
13. “Don't focus on who let you down. Appreciate who lifted you up. Don't focus on who darkened your days. Appreciate who brightened them.”
14. “Seek out the good in the bad, the happy in your sad,
the gain in your pain, what makes you grateful, not hateful.”
15. “When you realise how much you're worth, You'll stop giving people discounts.”
16. “I try to fill the emptiness deep inside me with Cheetos, but I am still depressed. Only now my fingers are stained orange. I am blue. And I am orange.”