On the morning of August 16th, 2018, the world lost the ‘Natural Woman’ whose presence commanded ‘Respect’, Aretha Franklin. Known as the ‘Queen of Soul’, Aretha was known for her high notes, not-so-subtle political nods, and her appreciation for her upbringing in the church. Personally, some of the things Aretha Franklin has said has impacted me more than her music. Along with my top 3 songs that she’s sung, get into my 5 favorite quotes she said.
Top 3 Songs
1. “RESPECT” - Classic gold, in its own right, ‘Respect’ was actually written by Otis Redding as a plea to his wife. Of course, Aretha Franklin put her voice on it and it became more than just a plea. It became a demand for equality between lovers and regarding injustice.
2. “I Say a Little Prayer” - This will always be one of my faves because of the way the song changes as it progresses. First off, it’s a feel-good song. Second, it starts off pretty mellow then the chorus adds a special spin of soul that just makes my heart smile.
3. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” - Another classic, ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’ is a promise to be there for loved ones when they’re low. It’s special, it’s strong, and will always be one of the songs that the Queen of Soul is known for.
Top 5 Quotes
1. “Falling out of love is like losing weight. It’s a lot easier putting it on than taking it off.”
2. “Sometimes, what you’re looking for is already there.”
3. “Be your own artist, and always be confident in what you’re doing. If you’re not going to be confident, you might as well not be doing it.”
4. “We all require and want respect, man or woman, black or white. It’s our basic human right.”
5. “Trying to grow up is hurting. You make mistakes. You try to learn from them, and when you don’t, it hurts even more.”
Aretha Franklin’s spirit will always be with us because of the lasting impact she’s made on the world through her genuine love for community and her love for her craft. Now, she can rest in power.
Rest easy, Queen
Want to connect? You can reach Jewel Newsome
via Instagram: @watch.jewelgo